Last Ditch Effort


Growing up I can only remember praying a few times.  Maybe it was more but I can only recollect a few times I spent in intentional prayer trying to alter a situation.  I spent most of my late childhood and early young adult life not believing in God.  Therefor, I didn't pray at all.  For much of my time as a new believer in Christ I prayed in a similar way as I did as a child, and if I'm being honest I still tend to lean that way now.  

Desperation.  I only really prayed when there didn't seem like I had any more options of fixing or changing something myself.  Isn't the point of salvation that we NEED to be saved?  That we cannot do it ourselves.  I personally feel like this is a huge part of the sanctification process.  We need to continually be in a place where we recognize that we can only grow, change, be successful in our endeavors if we lose our independence.  


Ephesians 6:18New International Version (NIV)

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

When we learn to pray BEFORE looking at all the avenues we may take, we are reminded where we get our strength, where all good things come from, and who we need to lean on for direction.  Would you ask your earthly parents (or for arguments sake--an expert in the area you're struggling) for sound advice before entering a problem or after all roads are exhausted.

Just food for thought--be blessed!
~Hill

Comments