Church Shopping


God's been working on my heart in this area, and I definitely needed it.  I am admittedly apprehensive and cautious when looking at new churches to attend and then join.  Due to my past experiences, the things that hurt my family or healed my family turned into a shopping list while looking for a church.  My list is actually quite short and many would agree that they are a good, Christian standard for a church.

But God's been nudging me.  I'm looking for a church that has all of these things so it can suit me. I'm trying to control what's best for me.  I'm trying to create the perfect church experience for my family and I.  What if he has me going to a church so they can benefit from my gifts and talents?  What if his purpose for us being in that church surpasses my understanding and I miss out on great blessings and the ability to bless others?  Would I be more of an impact on the kingdom if I found the ideal church or if I find the broken church and let God work through me to try and improve it?

I heard an interesting twist on Revelation last week.  The speaker noted how they see the letters to the churches as love letters from Jesus.  Only one church stood without needing correction.  The other churches God loved just as much and was right there working with them on improving.  If we are all broken and sinners, our churches too will be imperfect and in need of God's grace and correction.  

Do I want to be my own God and try to steer this ship where I think it should go due to my experiences with my limited perspective or do I truly let go and let God guide us where we need to be.


~Just my 2 cents

Comments