Slippery Slope of Self Improvement

 


I have been prayerfully seeking the best way to communicate what is on my heart about this topic and for the focus to be based in the word. As a professional counselor, I can without a doubt say that self improvement can lead many further away from the Lord opposed to closer. Just for sake of clarity and transparency, I began seeking counseling the first time in my early 20's due to emotional distress. I was in emotional and mental agony. I was tormented by suicidal thoughts, and often times spirits of fear, depression, self hatred would consume me. I needed help. Sadly, this type of counseling just focused more and more on me and wasn't helpful long term. I could white knuckle it and change my behavior for a period of time but the attacks would eventually wear me out again. The messages I received from the counseling and self help community was that I needed to dig deeper into myself and gather more tools, practice more...etc. All that was reinforcing was that I needed to be my own savior. I needed to find the right equation, earn my healing and act right. Get it together. 

The problem is, we are all sinners in need of a savior. Not just once, always. We will always fall short of the glory of God. We can become side tracked from the Love of the Savior Jesus Christ who can redeem all things. God doesn't need his people to prove they are good children by not having weaknesses, flaws, or mistakes. We are good children by just simply listening, following and being with Him. Our obedience in following Him in our weaknesses allows Him to use us and display His power to others to encourage other believers and help call the lost back to Him. 

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Philippians 4:19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Comments