Stretching

 

I'm a body person, meaning I've always enjoyed playing sports, thrived in PE class and just can feel my body's need to be active. As I get older my body gets stiff a lot easier, it's not quite as flexible and discomfort seems to be a regular thing. I was playing beach volleyball yesterday for a few hours and I don't know how to be all or nothing with sports, so today I'm quite stiff! 

I look at my son and remember what it's like to be so flexible that it is actually difficult to stretch muscles out. In the spiritual it's the same for him, his boldness makes him not even notice or appreciate where God is stretching him at times. He just walks through it with an open posture. Me on the other hand...wow I feel every stretch God puts on me lately. I have a specific look, an attitude on my face that says, "yeah I'll do it but God it would be nice if you could just let me chill a while". 

In the natural I think about all of the benefits of stretching out our muscles. It is this place in between discomfort and release. I'm also reminded that walking has many benefits of releasing our muscles and working out the stiffness through gentle movement. God knows we need increased stretching as we age and the more we decide to follow Him and continue to walk, he comforts us and strengthens us. 


Colossians 1:10-12 So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.



Comments