Day 5 of Beauty

Today God has brought me to Ephesians 4.  There are so many verses within this chapter that speak so loudly to how we view, speak and live in our bodies.

We are called to be humble and gentle (4:2). He wants us to be the light for others and we can't do so being wrapped up in the lies of the enemy about ourselves.  4:17-19 "So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.  They are separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more." This says so much to me. I don't read it with condemnation but with freedom and hope. I believe this applies to how we are living in the ignorance of the lies about our beauty and in doing so it, to a point, separates us from God and gives footholds to other issues in our lives to fill the void left from our distance from God.

I honestly could quote the whole chapter, I really just feel like it is so profound and in line with this topic.  4:22-24 "you were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the ATTITUDE of your minds and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

I just feel like God is speaking to me about this in that we are taught in many ways the wrong way to be humble, to be modest, to be ladylike.  At least I feel like I was, in many different lessons from pop culture, the community, and examples of women around me in addition to what I was actually told.  It's not a bad thing to see ourselves as beautiful, we are created in God's image.  No, we shouldn't boast in it or put too much weight on it either but aren't doing those things just as bad as walking in the darkness and lies of being focused on our flaws or perceived ugliness?  Our obsession with not being ____ (fill in the blank) enough is being corrupted and causes deceitful desires.  We need to choose to let go of our old self, old beliefs, old habits, old language and walk in our NEW identity, new attitude,  our righteousness in GOD.  It is not from our work but from his Love for us.

Challenge: What old stuff are you holding onto?  Make a list of all the old you that you are struggling to let go of and pray for the strength to let it go and choose joy!

Prayer: Dearest Lord help me see all the areas and ways I'm holding onto the old me.  Help me see the joy I can have by letting that all go.  Let the fear fall away and have joy and peace wash over me. Let me hear your truth louder than any ingrained lies that try to resurface.

Comments