How I see you



Yesterday I was blow away by the thoughtful, kind, and transforming post written by a friend.  We are in a writers group together and he decided to start a #IwishUsawWhatIsee.  I was, and still am, blown away at his kind words.  It was easy for me to participate and write one for him and another group member.  However, this had lasting impact on me.  Last night and this morning it had me really, deeply thinking about how other people really do see you.  

I think that we have levels of ability to see into a person.  This is my interpretation.

Level 1: stranger.  
Level 2: acquaintance. 
Level 3: surface-level friend.
Level 4: common friend.
Level 5: close friend.
Level 5.5: soul-peeker.
Level 6: soul mate(s).

Most of these are self-explanatory but some might not be.  Surface level friend I view as work friends that you typically don't see out of work and only share surface level or safe parts of your life.  Thing you don't mind people knowing without guarding.  A common friend you like to have fun with and hang out but they really only know of the events in your life, they don't know many of the fears and struggles behind those fears.  You still wear a good face for this type of friend.  Close friend is one that you disclose most of your fears and struggles but not all due to varying reasons such as fear of rejection or just not wanting to expose that part of you because you think it's ugly.  

Soul peeker is my favorite but I might be biased because I am one for a living...  These are people who aren't really in your day to day life but you are raw, unfiltered, and unmasked with them.  They are counselors, pastors, people in a writers group, people in a life group...anywhere you momentarily expose your soul.  These people can give you a pretty good view of yourself if you are being genuine. 

Then there are the soul mates.  I don't believe we only have one.  I don't even believe we have only one at a given time.  These are the people that we are completely exposed with.  Sometimes whether we like it or not.  They see the best and worst of us.  They know all of the events, for the most part.  They know our hearts, souls, fears, desires, hopes, expectations and patterns.  Sometimes these are really the hardest relationships.  The fights are much more damaging, the longevity more challenging, the vulnerability and perseverance the most transformative, liberating, and healing.

Just my two cents ;) 

  
 

Comments