Working for it


One of the things that was ingrained in me by my family was a good work ethic.  I come from a working class family and work ethic is a very important characteristic to have.  I'm grateful for that because it has made me not feel entitled and gives me the drive to do my best to work for what I want.  However, when we are kids we don't usually appreciate it.  It's funny how parenting can give you a new perspective on so many things in life.

Out of my kids my youngest gives me the most amount of sass (although usually it's just being grumpy) if he's asked to do hard chores or ones that take more than a few minutes.  Some days I honestly don't know if I feel like dealing with his attitude so I contemplate (and sometimes do) doing it myself.  However, I know that I would be robbing him  of his character being developed.  Of teaching him that he is part of a team and he needs to be a giver, not just a taker.  There are so many lessons to be had with doing chores and learning life skills.

Even bigger yet is how I started to see more clearly why not everything is given to me so easily.  why God allows certain stumbling blocks, heartaches, and disappointments to come my way.  I have known for a while, intellectually, that God allows these to help develop us but I didn't see it as clearly until I felt his gentle nudge while helping my son with some yard work.  It's uncomfortable and can be stressful but it really is for our own good in the end.  I pray for peace, comfort and healing for those who read this as I do believe he does want all of those for us as we do for our kids.


Comments