Prayer Journal


For years I have heard about and have been encouraged to keep a prayer journal.  I assumed to know what that was and entailed but I've come to realize it can take many forms.  I kind of avoided it because I'm more of a task orientated person and I imagined journaling requiring me to spend long periods of time just sitting and waiting to see what the Lord tells me.  I also found that notion kind of intimidating.  I mean, if I don't hear from him what does that say about me?  Too much pressure for me!  Another way I envisioned journaling was completely writing down a history of each day.  Because how was I to leave out details?  That would be absurd.  It would also be quite the daunting task.

Recently I felt like I was missing something.  I felt like the Lord was nudging me to investigate journaling further.  Then I read: “The Lord gave me this answer, ‘Write down clearly…what I reveal to you…’” Habakkuk 2:2 (can't recall the translation).  

I decided a template approach would work best for me.  Routine always works best for me.  For instance I wake up and listen to about 20 minutes of preaching, then I do about 20 minutes of bible study and then write.  The template I decided on was recommended by Rick Warren.  There are three headings: specific request, God's answer, and what God showed me today.  So when I journal I typically will fill in the answer and what God showed me from yesterday and fill in the specific request for today. I've been surprised that I've been able to answer each and every day.  The answer might not be what I wanted but it was supplied!

Hope this helps someone.  I can see it already starting to help me :)       

Comments