Social Media Perspective



Many of us have heard, or have come to the conclusion on our own, that social media is the highlight reel in the game of 21st century life. What does this mean and what are the consequences of being immersed in this social media culture?


My drug, I mean social media outlet of choice, is usually facebook. This is where I have the most "friends" and I see the most activity among those friends. While scrolling through the feed my emotions, if I'm not careful, can fall prey to the subjection of posts. At times this can mean I can feel upset and isolated due to my, seemingly, different and more sensitive world views. Other times I can find myself envious for the happy and carefree life that my friends appear to live. I can let my emotions run unchecked if I'm not intentionally keeping these posts in perspective. Most people, myself included, don't post our troubles, dramas, hurts, disappointments, and regrets. Most of us post our highlight reel. The clips of our lives that are our best moments, our happiest, our proudest. Children willing awards, opposed to failing; husbands and wives celebrating, not fighting. Left unchecked our perspective of this news-feed and of the friends we have within it can be altered and leave us not appreciating our own lives and growing resentful when difficult times ensue.


Recently I have noticed yet another aspect of the impact social media can have on relationships. With people posting "proud hubby and wifey" moments, the content being focused on what spouses have done for the person posting we are creating and encouraging a "what do you do for me attitude". With that type of mentality we will remain insatiable, unhappy, resentful and feeling hurt. On the flip side how does it feel to be in a relationship where the other person is always having that attitude toward us? Will a relationship where both individuals are measuring the success of the relationship by what the other one does for them last? In my view it's a recipe for disaster and one of the main reasons for the high divorce rates. We are moving more and more toward a society where I get mine, and what I want from you is socially acceptable. Our ethics in this country behind how we treat, respect and love people is eroding but we individually can choose to behave and think differently. We aren't called to follow the culture.

Comments

Everyday Me said…
This is so so true. I agree with you here.
walkingitout said…
It's such an easy trap to fall into...