Stumbling Block


During my bible study this week I was asked a question: "Is your comfort your stumbling block in the way of your spiritual growth?"

That's something I've been actually thinking about a lot since moving to LV.  Not exactly in those terms but I've been really analyzing what do I really, actually need.  Our perspective is so incredibly twisted it's not even funny.  I got a small dose of this when I was traveling to Africa and it wasn't too hard from me because I've been very poor at times in my life and know what it's like to go without.  However, what standard was I measuring against?  How much energy, time and resources do I use to make sure me and mine are at our comfortable levels opposed to having a mentality of "what do I really, actually need to survive so I can help others who cannot have what they NEED to survive?".

I don't know if that hits you like it hits me but I'm just in awe of my eye sight being adjusted.  Even when I was in those times where I was dirt poor I was still taken care of.  It happened.  What was I focused on though?  Needing, ahem-wanting more.  Focused on what I didn't have, working for what I want to have.

That's the American dream isn't it?

The American dream doesn't align with God's plans and purpose for us.  How can we be fully in tune and serving him with everything we have if we are working towards our own success, which is measured by our comfort level?

It makes me think of the church in Laodicea.  (Revelation 3:14-22) They were self sufficient, rich in worldly terms, they didn't need God and that was the most offensive way for a church to be in his eyes.  However, if they were able to look beyond themselves and look back to God then they would be rewarded the greatest.  We need to keep in perspective our limited time here and remember where our riches truly are.

~Just my 2 cents :)

Comments