Feeling Insignificant

There are certain days that I seem to be able to roll with the punches and still be able to keep my chin up with a smile.  Then there are other days when I feel like throwing in the towel before the fight even starts.

As I wake up this morning I'm feeling defeated.  I feel insignificant and unsure of myself.  I'm out of work right now and knowing that my family needs me to work and help provide makes me feel like I'm letting them down.  Unfortunately it's not as simple as just getting a job.  But my temporary unemployment isn't the focus for this post.

Even when life appears to run smoothly and I am employed I will have certain days when I feel like I'm not enough.  What's that about?  I've done a LOT of exploring and healing into my past, my thinking, my core beliefs, God's truth but still those horrible feelings and thoughts resurface.  Why?

The only thing I can come up with is I'm letting myself have "down time".  That is time when I don't put on my armor of God, I don't meditate on who I am in him, and I just stroll along the road of life.  I have vulnerable spots, that I'm well aware of, and I'm leaving them wide open for the adversary to strike.  I cannot let my guard down, not one minute when it comes to this because he is always on the prowl looking for a way to attack.  This is even more true when you are spreading the good news and working for God.  He wants to break your knees so you can't be effective.

I'm praying that God reveals all the emotional vulnerabilities we have and fills us with the truth in his word of who we are in him.  We are the righteousness of Christ.  I am insignificant on my own, but I'm a mighty warrior in him!

Psalm 139:13-16The Message (MSG)

13-16 Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
    you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
    Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
    I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
    you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
    how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
    before I’d even lived one day.


Jeremiah 29:11The Message (MSG)

10-11 This is God’s Word on the subject: “As soon as Babylon’s seventy years are up and not a day before, I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.


Ephesians 2:4-10The Message (MSG)

He Tore Down the Wall
2 1-6 It wasn’t so long ago that you were mired in that old stagnant life of sin. You let the world, which doesn’t know the first thing about living, tell you how to live. You filled your lungs with polluted unbelief, and then exhaled disobedience. We all did it, all of us doing what we felt like doing, when we felt like doing it, all of us in the same boat. It’s a wonder God didn’t lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on his own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah.

7-10 Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing! No, we neither make nor save ourselves. God does both the making and saving. He creates each of us by Christ Jesus to join him in the work he does, the good work he has gotten ready for us to do, work we had better be doing.

Comments