Focus

When it comes to beauty, kids, friends, work, or anything really, what we focus on will grow.  This theme and concept seems to keep resurfacing into my thoughts lately.  Up until recently I honestly didn't realize how negative I was, even if I didn't show it to everyone.  Sometimes people would get glimpses here and there but I was careful to not be negative because I knew that wasn't a "good" thing to be.

The problem was that I was just containing my negativity or hiding it.  I wasn't doing anything to address the cause of this negativity.  I thought I was...but honestly nothing works on changing us quick like the holy spirit.

For a very long time I wanted to change so very bad. I hated just about everything about me.  But I needed to appreciate and find love for myself before God would allow me to start working on the changes I needed.  Otherwise those changes would be due to the wrong motivations.

Now I'm to the point where I need to be intentional and purposeful with each of my thoughts, words and actions.  Not to be enslaved into a legalistic mentality and life but to free myself from negativity, being self-centered, and being filled with regret.

I've always tried to tell my kids that their day and mood has more to do with their choices than it does circumstances.  I need to really listen to what I'm teaching them and be more immovable in my faith.

 1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18, NIV Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.   

Comments