Off the Beaten Path



Yesterday I decided to enroll in a free writing class. I have decided to post my class assignments here as well. This week was a simple assignment. We were to write a 500 word or less story about something in our childhood. Hope you enjoy.




Chaise Lounge





I daze in and out of sleep under a carport lined with grapevines. A soft cool breeze encircling me, encouraging melatonin production. My Opa’s radio playing quietly from the back of the garage all the favorites from the 50’s and 60’s. My mind drifts to daydreams surrounding the lawn figurines behind me in a bed of clam shells. They come to life, each with their own unique personalities. I imagine the stories each one of them have to tell. All coming from unique walks of life and offering me limitless adventures. I decide to get up and assess how I can climb the poles and swing over to one of them. The hobo man is intriguing to me and is sure to offer me a wonderful adventure.





Just as an adventure was about to start I hear my Opa padding quietly towards me. He’s holding a box and wearing a big smile. I find such comfort in his kind eyes and giving hands. As he approaches I am anticipating what is in the box. Seeing more and more as he approaches. He can’t seem to approach fast enough. I can’t wait to see what it is.





Right before I am able to see down the box, a large green thing abruptly jumped up at me and croaked. It was the most curious thing. This is the first time I have seen a frog in real life. It looks so excited...yet slimy. I was surprised when it was warm to the touch and it wasn’t as slimy as I anticipated.





My Opa helped me set up my new pet’s home. Well, I considered it my pet. We searched throughout the driveway and yard for spiderwebs. My Opa told me that this was a good place to look for flies and other insects the frog would enjoy. I was in complete awe at the wisdom that continually overflowed from my Opa. After we collected dinner for the frog we got it some water and made it a bed of kohlrabi leaves.





***


My Opa was a wonderful gardener. Even though his yard was fairly small he made excellent use of the space and had all kinds of fruits and vegetables. The growing season was fairly short in Syracuse New York but he always had enough to share with family, friends and neighbors in addition to canning them up for winter.







Comments