Perspective

Today's writing assignment was to simple display change in a short story.  Hope you enjoy. (PS please take my poll found on the right column).

Perspective

Another day in the jet shop.  Boring, repetitive routine but in a way I find comfort in it.

As I click away at the keys of the keyboard and exchange sitcom based banter with co-workers I think to myself life isn’t too bad.  Don’t get me wrong, life has been better and I would change things up a bit if I could but I’m making due to what life offers.

As I stand up and smooth my uniform down, I start to notice there is a burst of voices and accumulation of people to the left of me.  I ask my coworkers if they know what is going on.  One of my friends from basic training and technical school begins to approach me with worry and sadness written all over his face.

“I’m assuming you didn’t already hear” Aaron began.
“No, what are you talking about?” I ask.
“A plane crashed into the World Trade Center” he continues to explain and turns on the radio.

I check my phone to try and call my family in New York, there isn’t a signal.  I’m not able to call.
As I look around there is a sea of camouflage uniforms all gathering.  Many trying to call home, many more in a state of confusion attempting to anticipate what this means for us.

The radio host then announces the second tower being hit and the Pentagon.  We all just stand and stare at the radio, listening in silence.  I drift in and out of thought.

“The President of the United States is boarding Air Force One and is heading for Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB Nebraska” the host spontaneously announces.  

A roar of commotion erupts throughout the building.  Almost in unison the same thought is spoken outloud-  “how are they going to announce that he’s coming here to go into the bunker.  The media is putting him and all of us at risk!”

Alarms start to sound and I start to panic a little.  We all start rushing towards the center of the building, the bomb shelter.  People shoving and pushing me.  I’m starting to get defensive and start pushing and shoving back, protecting my rounded belly.  I start feeling the adrenaline kick in and then I notice Aaron at my side helping protect me.

As we make it safely to the bomb shelter but we are still packed in like sardines.  My stomach is starting to turn and I feel flush.

The loud speaker begins to crackle “we have an unidentified flying object heading towards base.  Tower is not able to communicate with the aircraft. Remain calm and be prepared for impact.”


Despite the hallways being crammed with people, it is mostly silent.  A woman next to me asked her to remember the words to the Our Father prayer.
“You may return to your workstations.  Aircraft has been identified as Lincoln, Nebraska National Guard unit” the loud voice announces.      




Comments